August 3, 2010

forget funfetti, these are for a real celebration

Twenty-six years ago at 8:22 AM, I was born in Syracuse, NY.  My Aunt Potty claims that she, like my Mommy Dearest, had labor pains.  Her boss actually excused her from work because she could not function.  The beginning of an era was ushered in with me being the quintessential eldest child on both sides of the fam.  I am often outspoken and bossy and give advice where it is not asked for.  I also push myself without any prodding from others, feel guilty for things and people out of my control and get farklempt over roadkill and wonder if some poor animal family is going hungry.  My family is my heart and I thank each one of them for contributing to my pieced together existence.   My first quarter century was amazing and this past year was the perfect summation.  You all deserve a thank you cupcake on this day (especially you, Father Fartknocker, for giving me this crazy sweet molar rather than tooth) and what doesn't say "celebration" like champagne?  I also have a penchant for ruffles and bows, My Little Ponies were my toy of choice and "pinkandpurple" was my favorite color growing up, so help me embrace my inner fancypants, okay?

Bubbly Bellini Cupcakes

Yield: 24 standard-sized cupcakes

INGREDIENTS
cupcake
6 egg whites at room temp
3 C sifted all purpose flour
1 1/2 t baking powder
3/4 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
3/4 C unsalted butter, softened
2 2/3 C sugar
1 t vanilla
2 C champagne, spumante or the like
3/4 C peach jam

champagne frosting
1/2 C unsalted butter, softened
4 C confectioner's sugar
1/4 C champagne
1 t vanilla

DIRECTIONS
cupcakes
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line standard-sized muffin tin with paper liners.
1. In a medium bowl stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar and vanilla beating until well-combined.
3. Gradually add egg whites beating well after each addition.
4. Alternately add in flour mixture and champagne starting and ending with flour until just combined. The batter will appear curdled after the champagne is added but will smooth out after all of the flour mixture has been incorporated.
5. Pour in prepared muffin tins and bake for 17-22 minutes until toothpick comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.

Left: Cone method, Right: Jam filling

assembly and frosting

1. After cupcakes have cooled, use the cone method to scoop out part of the cupcake top.
2. Add a 1/2 T of peach jam to each cupcake and replace the cone top.
3. In medium bowl, beat frosting ingredients with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Frost cupcakes.

Nutrition: 350 cal, 9g fat, 84mg sod, 61g carb, 46g sugar, 0g fiber, 2.5g protein

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lauren said...

champagne frosting........need any more be said?!