March 4, 2010

census: ideal chocolate chip cookie

My first attempts at sugar seduction with Torren were difficult.  As mentioned, he is willing to try pretty much anything; it's getting him to love it that is the challenge.  I wanted to be the bearer of his favorite dessert.  I am still not fully convinced that these are his fave considering it took him about four years to share his "secret birthday dessert" with me but I'll take his word for now.

After much use of the dreaded Scientific Method, I managed to make his ultimate chocolate chip cookie: chewy edge, soft center, medium thickness, very little crumb with, uh, Reese's Pieces (I know, I know, not a CCC exactly but I can't help his PB obsession).   I would agree that this recipe is probably tied for first with my personal favorite CCC, bringing up an interesting topic debated all over the food blogs: what is the perfect chocolate chip cookie recipe?   This one, I believe, is purely subjective.

Before I found the Cooks Illustrated recipe that is beloved among many, my favorite CCC was the "puffy" cookie.  CCCs  and a little less flour yield what my mother calls the "poor man's chocolate chip."  My sister Tess' ultimate would be the prepackaged Toll House dough blobs, under baked.  Mommy Dearest is forever trying to recreate my Aunt Potty's flat, florentine-like CCCs.  My Grandma Sue's are a dark, crunchy, somewhat thicker version.  I remember people going crazy for Keebler Soft Batch cookies when they came out and then of course someone is always trying to recreate Mrs. Field's.  All of this fascinates me for some reason.  Come on people, do tell, what is your favorite CCC? Store-bought or homemade? Cakey? Chewy? Do they have to have a certain chocolate?  Or, {sacrilege}, maybe you don't even like them and would rather have a brownie.

4 comments:

M.Fieger said...

Homemade CCC's for sure. For me, it needs to be very soft and chewy in the middle with the smallest hint of crunch around the edges. Also, there has to be a good amount of chocolate chips in them, but not too many so that they overpower the taste of the cookie itself.

Anonymous said...

hey now, i will go for homemade like Annie's friend Jordan's mom does and won't tell the recipe! I just like gooey and chewy and chocolaty
-Tess

yumyumdelish said...

I have a feeling that her recipe is probably similar to the Cook's Illustrated one. It's really hard to find and you have to pay to get access to the website. The cookies are called the "Ultimate" or something and they have revised it twice in the past decade.

Anonymous said...

my personal favorite are the super thin grandma-CCCs. Super chewy and almost kinda burnt on the edge...too bad sophia only makes those huge fat ones :(

(we need to steal grandmas recipe)

-n