June 10, 2010

my secret weapon

Need to say "thank you" or "I'm so sorry" or maybe you are out to impress without giving someone food poisoning? Everyone should have a signature recipe when they want to present something that they know will taste great, look scrumptious and have people coming back for more. I have made these Shortbread Jambles (or as Mommy Dearest likes to call them, "Jimble Jamble Things") several times now and they have been well-received by everyone from your gooey dessert friend to your "I would rather have a piece of fruit" brother. They are tart and sweet enough that they play to many palates and everyone can hold hands and hope for world peace. Better still, there are many ways to dress them up or down. I have added almond paste, changed the fruit filling, nixed nuts altogether for kids to enjoy, spiked them for an adult taste, added chocolate for those that cannot do without, et cetera, et cetera.

I would love to know who has a "go-to" recipe or who makes their great, great grandmother's gnocchi and still has the original copy in her handwriting even though they know it with their eyes closed. What is that one dish whose ingredients you will keep to yourself and pass down to only the most deserving? Really now, TELL ME.

With that, I will warn you, fruit is tasty this time of year but I am also partial to the s'more. Marshmallow recipes will be plentiful.

No comments: