June 21, 2010

s'more baking? no thanks.

I knew it would be a little while before a post due to the weekend's celebratory activities. I did, however, get some great eating and recipe-ing in.  Just in time to wear my new bathing suit, hmmm. I really need to go on a sorbet kick or something.

Anyway, because of all of that fun being had, I had PADD or (Party Attention Deficit Disorder). Does that ever happen to you? I think my entire four years of college were like that. I'm not talking drunken debauchery, I mean that excitement where you are in systems overload. Too many fun people, foods and things going on for you to focus and you don't want to miss a second of it. That is generally how it feels when I am with my entire family. We are so used to having seen each other on a weekly basis for so many years that now we live farther apart we have to cram in all of the time we should be seeing each other into a couple of days.  After these "vacations" I usually go home and sleep for twelve hours straight because I was too wound up to waste time with sleep.  Definitely worth it in my opinion.  So for Birthgradather's Weekend, the chaos was as plentiful and delightful as the foods being served.

As mentioned before, Tess has a soft spot for anything cookie/brownie/gooey.  She requested a s'mores cake but I was kind of baffled because the girl actually does not enjoy cake.  Maybe the graham cracker batter lured her in.  I was ready to do it but had been told another cake was being ordered for day 2 of Birthgradfather's Weekend.  This was the perfect opportunity to make an ice cream cake I have been not-so-secretly hoping to make and it is most definitely gooey.  Dubbed "S'mores Sensation" by Ladies Home Journal, this thing is awesome when you want a s'more but it's a little too hot for that campfire.  Or maybe there's a three-year-old running around and you're doing your best not to light things on fire around her.

This cake is easy!  When I do finally purchase an ice cream maker, I am determined to make my own ice cream for this because I love complicating things and it's just not real for me if it's not from scratch.  For now, I'll deal and you get this quick fix!

S'mores Sensation

adapted from LHJ
Yield: 18 servings

INGREDIENTS
2 pkgs (18 rectangles) graham crackers
2/3 C unsalted butter, melted
1 12-oz jar chocolate fudge sauce originally called for two, I subbed one for marshmallow creme
1 12-oz jar marshmallow sauce or 1 7-oz jar of fluff
1 1/2 qts chocolate ice cream I used S'mores ice cream, not really necessary but fun
3/4 C toasted almonds, chopped I omitted this, too many little people don't like nuts
2 1/2 C mini marshmallows
1 qt vanilla ice cream

DIRECTIONS
1. Grind graham crackers into fine crumbs in a food processor. Pour crumbs into a bowl and stir in melted butter thoroughly. Press mixture evenly into an 8 or 9-inch springform pan, coating the bottom and 2 inches up the sides. Freeze until solid, about 30 min.
2. Spread one jar of fudge sauce (this is where I poured the jar of marshmallow creme) over the crust; refreeze. Meanwhile, soften chocolate ice cream and stir in almonds and 1 cup marshmallows. Spread mixture over fudge (marshmallow creme); freeze until firm.
3. Spread remaining fudge over ice cream, freeze until firm, then spread softened vanilla ice cream on top of cake; freeze solid.
4. Place oven rack 6 inches from broiler; heat broiler. Top cake with remaining marshmallows. Place under broiler 1 to 2 min until marshmallows are toasted, then return to freezer. When firm, cover with plastic wrap and freeze for 5 hrs or up to 3 days.
5. To serve, wrap a warm, damp towel around the pan, then release outer ring. Use a sharp knife to cut into graham cracker shell and serve with a spatula to remove dessert from pan.

Nutrition: 460 cal, 23g fat, 247mg sodium, 60g carb, 43g sugar, 2g fiber, 5.5g protein

Photo credit
  (someone ran out of time to take a photo...)

No comments: