July 29, 2010

keeping with the lazy days

Summer is the obviously fruit season what with the bounty of berries, peaches and early apples making their way into the world and ripening (or rotting) quickly in the heat. Sure, you could slave away in your kitchen and can and jam all of those beauties but thankfully there is a queen of such things in my family and that is my Grandma Sue. So while she is busting her butt in her 90+ degree kitchen, I can't really complain about slapping together a pie. I definitely shoved about twenty pounds of blueberries into my freezer but I just couldn't resist making a fresh pie or two for a couple near and dear to me.

Truth be told, I really never liked the blue suckers if they weren't tucked into a buttery, sugary muffin. Even then, I probably picked half of them out and tossed them. (Since when should something sinfully sweet have any nutritional value?) However, as much as I can take credit for introducing that dude-I'm-shacking-up-with to a plethora of pungent cheeses, complex jams and jellies (yes, thank Grandma), pinch-your-mouth-sweet desserts and some random fruits and vegetables that require farmer market sleuthing, this is one of the things I can say that he tossed my cheese-loving way. I did not fall for them easily or instantly. In fact, I was literally whining about my distaste for them mid-bite of the little fruit during a picking spree just a few weeks ago when I had to bite my tongue. They were the biggest, most gentle tasting blueberries I had been fortunate enough to eat. The key to that success was picking early and actually knowing when to shut up.

Since the weather was hot but I was determined, I went the lazy-girl route and made a bottomless pie. Pie crust can be daunting for some but really, I didn't want to be elbow deep in butter, sweating through my shirt. Nice picture, huh? The bright side is that this is cute and fun and out of the oven all that much faster for you to dump some vanilla bean ice cream on and shovel in your mouth.

Bottomless Blueberry Pie

Crust idea from here
Yield: 8 servings

INGREDIENTS
crust
1 1/3 C all purpose flour
1/2 C unsalted butter, frozen
3 T ice water

blueberry filling
4 C fresh blueberries, rinsed
1 T flour
1 T unsalted butter
1 T lemon juice
1/4 C white sugar
1/4 C brown sugar

DIRECTIONS
crust
1. Add flour to a medium bowl.
2. Cut in frozen butter with a pastry blender or fork until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
3. Carefully add the ice water, the mixture should begin to clump together into a moist ball.
4. Wrap ball in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 min.

blueberry filling
Grease an 8 or 9-inch pie pan.
1. Pour 2 C of the blueberries into the pie pan.
2. Combine flour, butter, lemon juice and sugar into a medium saucepan. Mix thoroughly. Add the remaining pint of blueberries and bring just to a boil over medium heat. Berries should begin to pop open.
3. Pour cooked berries over fresh berries.

assembly
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
1. Roll out cold dough (easiest between two sheets of wax paper) and cut out desired shapes.
2. Layer on top of pie filling. You might want to leave some open space on a berry pie so that some of the moisture evaporates in the oven. Otherwise, you may want to bake it a little longer.
3. Bake for 12-15 min.
4. Serve with ice cream, delish!

Nutrition: 266cal, 12g fat, 0mg sod, 37g carb, 19.5g sugar, 2g fiber, 2.5g protein

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

[url=http://hairtyson.com]online Phen375[/url] are tablets that supporter trim body weight. The same of these tabs has to be infatuated with water, round 20 minutes ahead of a repast, twice a day.

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.payloansonline.com]payday advance loans[/url]
This is the best way to get all your health products online like green coffee, african mango, phen375 and others. Visit now

[url=http://www.press-release.in/en/venapro-review-honest-review-venapro-hemorrhoids-relief-naturalherbalznet-6172304]Venapro Reviews[/url]