July 7, 2010

you can't judge a dessert by its topping

Firstly, sorry for the week off but if you have any idea what this melt-wave in the Northeast is doing to the majority of its residents, then you would get it. I can't complain, a week or two like this happens every year, just to solidify once again that people love to hate on the weather around here and that there will always be a topic for small talk. Needless to say, the kitchen has been closed. Fortunately, we've been running around with our heads cut off since this past weekend of July Fourthdom and I haven't been in the house much to experience the sweltering heat. I broke down and bought another fan. The air conditioners at Target mocked me but I'm too cheap and stubborn to do it. Plus, I think our windows are as old as our {cough}120 year old{cough} house. Not much keeping air in or out as a result.

These little yums were for an awesome family party we attended at our friend Bri's parents' house. I learned a couple of things this weekend: 1. There are some families as loud and fun and into food as my own (another party to see that match would be great!) 2. Cherry vodka and Pepsi take me back to a time when I could have more than one drink of the stuff without singing bad karaoke (I apologize for my Lady Gaga) 3. Paper licenses are not acceptable forms of ID in Massachusetts (and I assume, everywhere). I finally change my name legally and have to cough up my real ID "for a few weeks?" Fortunately I'm lame and don't get out much. Planning is smart.

Back to the eats. Are you getting déjà vu from my last post? Well, just because it looks similar does not mean that it will taste that way. Correction, they'll taste GOOD, just not the same. I have to make sure to throw that in there or you won't get any further into this. Actually, recent convert of sweet things, Rylan P. Doherty asked for seconds and I guiltily had to deny him so I'd have enough for the aforementioned soiree. I will be making more in the near future to make up for that.

These little bars are different from the last because they are baked and do not necessarily call for peanut butter or marshmallows. Rylan thought they tasted like graham cracker though so the s'more idea must have come across after all. Most people adore peanut butter and chocolate and the marshmallows just add that summery feel. I felt that they would go over well with a crowd whose palates I had not yet met. Definitely a good choice- I almost baked a pie and there was some All-American apple crumble that would have trounced that decision easily. So, where I have the additions of peanut butter cups and marshmallow, feel free to crumble up another kind of chocolate (Kit-Kats or Twix had crossed my mind) and stuff it inside and out!

Brownie and Chocolate Chip Cookie Layer Bars

Yield: 16 big or 32 small

INGREDIENTS
Your favorite brownie recipe (for a 9x13-inch pan)
Half of your favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe (I omitted the chips so there wouldn't be chocolate overkill but some people love that)
3 C chopped peanut butter cups optional (I used milk, dark and white peanut butter cups because I just can't be simple, can I?)
3 C miniature marshmallow optional

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9x13-inch pan with foil and if you still haven't tried that non-stick kind (AMAZING), grease it.
1. Prepare brownie mix according to your recipe. Pour mix in pan and bake for 20 min.
2. While brownies are baking, prepare the half batch of cookie dough. Leave it out to remain soft.
3. Remove brownies from oven and drop chopped peanut butter cups over top. They should begin to melt immediately.
4. Spoon softened cookie dough over peanut butter cups, trying to cover the chocolate as well as possible.
5. Put the pan back in the oven for 20-25min. or until the cookie dough layer is firm in the center.
6. Remove pan from oven and drop marshmallows over the top. Put pan back in oven for 3-5 min. or until marshmallows begin to puff and brown. Let bars cool before cutting.

Nutrition (1/32): 242cal, 13g fat, 109mg sod, 31g carb, 21g sugar, 0g fiber, 4g protein

1 comment:

Jean at The Delightful Repast said...

Hey Loren, I heard about your yummy blog from your friend Heather. You seem to like marshmallows, so I thought I'd tell you about a place that has The Best marshallows, plushpuffs.com. (I am not connected with the company in any way; I just like to tell people about good stuff!) Your fruit desserts look great, too!