December 19, 2010

twelve cookies of christmas

Actually, it's more like seventeen- I made ten varieties and my mother made seven.  If you are receiving a cookie plate from us, I hope you like to shake it up a bit.  I am going to do my best to post the cookies I made to contribute to our annual plates before the stockings are hung by the chimney with care.  For the most part, I went a little crazy this year and tried out six new recipes. The only negative was that they were not original concoctions of my own. Maybe next year I will get it together and invent some new cookies. Overall, I was pretty happy with the majority and will decide which will reappear in the future after the initial cookie plate attack occurs at Grandma Suedy's house after Christmas dinner.  Now, I do not want to see another cookie for at least three months.  Maybe I'll make ice cream (my other love) instead...

Let's start this madness with something really akin to wintry flavors and colors.

Peppermint Crescents

from Southern Living Incredible Cookies
Yield: 3 dozen

INGREDIENTS
1 C unsalted butter, softened
2/3 C sifted confectioner's sugar
1 t peppermint extract
1/8 t salt
2 1/2 C flour
2 C sifted confectioner's sugar, divided
2 1/2 T milk
1/4 t peppermint extract
coarsely crushed hard peppermint candy

DIRECTIONS
1. Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Add 2/3 cup confectioner's sugar, 1 teaspoon peppermint extract, and salt; beat well. Gradually add flour to butter mixture, beating at low speed just until blended after each addition. Divide dough into thirds; cover and chill 30 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 325°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Working with 1 portion of dough at a time, divide each portion into 12 pieces. Roll each piece into a 2-inch log; curve ends of each log to form a crescent. Place crescents 2 inches apart on baking sheets.
3. Bake for 18 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool 1 minute on baking sheets. Carefully roll warm cookies in 1 cup confectioner's sugar, and then cool completely on wire racks. After speaking to wise Mommy Dearest about this, she said that the confectioner's sugar may have a more consistent appearance if I wait to let the cookies cool completely.
4. Combine remaining cup of confectioner's sugar, milk and 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract, stirring until smooth. Drizzle icing over cookies; sprinkle with crushed peppermint, pressing gently. Let icing set before serving. Store cookies in an airtight container.

Nutrition: 117 cal, 5g fat, 13mg sod, 17g carb, 10g sugar, 0g fiber, 1g protein

3 comments:

Chelsea said...

What is the cookie part of this cookie like? It sounds like an eggless sugar cookie, maybe? They're lovely, either way!

yumyumdelish said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
yumyumdelish said...

It's kind of like a melty shortbread with a peppermint flavor. I'm sure if the cookies were thinner, they would be more fragile.