December 10, 2010

the calm before the storm

Christmas cookie baking is looming and I hope to post the majority of what I make over the next couple of weeks.  I have made some bars and cookies already but everything else should be confections that I have not posted before. It will definitely be interesting because I plan on shaking up the cookie routine I have managed to form over the past few years of being a homeowner.

If you haven't noticed my family is the "go big or go home" type. Thanksgiving was nuts with its three days of feasting and Christmas will be just as crazy with its twelve days (at least) of cookies. My Mommy Dearest and I were going to combine cookie plates and stick to making five types each for ten scrumptious options. Believe it or not, that is cutting back on what we have done in the past. However, she informed me that there were certain cookies she couldn't part with and has since upped her five to six plus a pie and cinnamon rolls. Considering she only needs to give plates to three groups of people and Torren and I need to give away NINE plates for all of our work and family-related obligations, I need to up the ante. I have a couple of cookies up my sleeve but I would really like to shake it up this year. Does anyone have any funful options that are not your run-of-the-mill nut or rum ball? I am even more likely to love it if it ISN'T red and green because, well, I just harbor fugly feelings for that color combo.

In the mean time, I thought I would share a recipe for something that was NOT oven-baked or resembled a circle or square. With that, I bring you pudding. I avoided rice pudding like the plague because I assumed it was similar to tapioca (blech, no thank you) but when Torren professed his love for it after meeting him in college, I just couldn't pass up an opportunity to stick my finger in someone else's food. Yes, I am that person. If I love you enough, I will enjoy your dinner off of your plate. Consider it a compliment and move on. I discovered that, I, too could definitely down a bowl of Kozy Shack® (why the cutesy "K?") and have since used up much left over rice thanks to sugar, milk and an extra hour or so on my hands. This version is maple-fied (still have that jug of syrup) and I added nuts and dried fruit because that sounds enchantingly rustic, doesn't it? Did I just hear Martha call?

Maple Rice Pudding

Yield: 8 half-cup servings

INGREDIENTS
1 C uncooked white or brown rice, rinsed
5 C milk I use skim
2 large eggs
2 t vanilla
3/4 cup real maple syrup
1/2 t ground cinnamon
1/4 t ground nutmeg
1/4 t ground cloves
1/4 t ground ginger
1/4 C almonds, pecans and/or walnuts
1/4 C dried fruit I used cranberries and cherries

DIRECTIONS
1. Combine eggs, vanilla, maple syrup and spices in a small bowl refrigerate until needed.
2. Place rinsed rice in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan, barely cover with water and bring to a boil.
3. Immediately add the milk to the rice. Let the milk scald, then reduce the heat and cover the pan with a lid. Let the pot simmer on low for about 40 minutes, or until the rice is tender. Watch the pot, and stir frequently. If the rice and milk thicken, or if the rice begins to stick, add more milk.
4. Turn up the heat to medium high, and stir the egg mixture into the rice. Continue stirring the rice until it thickens. Remove from heat and stir in nuts and dried fruit. can be served both warm and cold.

Nutrition: 287 cal, 4g fat, 107mg sod, 53g carb, 31g sugar, 1g fiber, 10g protein

1 comment:

Unknown said...

YUM! Anything maple, spiced, and warm is joyous. Making this!!